One of the many benefits of living in the state of Florida is the nearly constant access to the beach. Whether that is the beach on oceanfront property or the beach at a lakefront, riverfront, or other waterfront property, there are many options for both visitors and residents to enjoy some fun in the sun in Florida.
If you are considering moving to Florida and would like to be able to enjoy access to a beach at your very own waterfront property, questions should certainly be asked before you invest your time, money, and energy. Our team of realtors at Your Home Sold Guaranteed Realty - Florida Waterfront is here to make sure you are completely satisfied with your real estate investment in Florida, and we are happy to answer any and all waterfront property questions you may have before you buy.
Below, we have listed some of the most common questions within the most important topics related to buying this type of property. Be sure to read through them and know what to look for when it comes to a Florida waterfront property. It is advisable to ask all the questions you may have before you sign any paperwork or make any commitments because you certainly want to know what you are getting into before you buy it. Our team is always happy to give you even more information and details on any of the topics listed below or others you may have in mind.
What Is the Property Located and What Does It Look Like?
When you see a property and house listed online, you may instantly fall in love with it for a variety of reasons. However, it is important to learn all that you can about that property before you invest in it to make sure that it is everything you are hoping it to be. Here are several important Florida waterfront property questions that you should find out the answers to before investing your money:
- What type of waterfront property is it (lake, river, ocean)?
- Will you have unrestricted legal access to the actual water from your property?
- Do you have to share your waterfront with others in the neighborhood or the general public?
- Are there HOA restrictions that you should be aware of?
- Is the property located in a flood zone or other serious water-related hazard that should be disclosed?
- Has the home been flooded previously (this can affect your insurance costs)?
- Is the shoreline in good condition or does it need serious renovations?
- What structures can be built on the property/shore such as docks, sheds, boathouses, etc?
- Are there restrictions from the state, government, HOA?
- What permits need to be acquired in order to do new construction or renovations?
- Is there noise or serious traffic in the area that may interrupt the peace and relaxation provided by your Florida waterfront property?
By answering these questions, you will have a much more accurate and detailed understanding of the property that you could be potentially investing in. Knowing everything there is to know about the house, property, shoreline, and water access ensures that you will be making well-informed decisions about your real estate investments.
What Is the Situation with Utilities in Your Area?
Another important aspect of owning a waterfront property in Florida is the situation with the utilities and amenities. You need to be aware of what is available on the property and how these utilities and amenities will affect you and your family’s daily lives. These are some of the questions you should be asking:
- What utilities are available on the property?
- Will you have access to public water and sewers?
The answers to these questions will help inform you about how this new property will affect your lifestyle and the activities you will be able to enjoy from the comfort of your own home.
Are There Amenities in the Area?
In addition to knowing exactly what is available as far as utilities in your region, you should also be aware of the amenities you can enjoy. These may be ones which are open to the public or private ones that are exclusive to your community. A couple important questions to ask include:
- What is available to you in the area such as marinas, restaurants, shops, grocery stores, and more?
- Are there special amenities exclusively available to homeowners in your specific neighborhood?
These questions will enable you and your family to fully enjoy your lives once you have moved into your new Florida waterfront property. There are certainly perks that come with these types of properties, and asking the right questions will ensure that you are aware of them and can take full advantage of them.
What Kind of Insurance Do I Need?
As with any homeowner, you will need insurance for your Florida waterfront property. Questions about the types and extent of insurance you will need are vital for individuals who are considering making an investment in these properties. These are the Florida waterfront property insurance questions you should be asking before signing any purchase paperwork:
- What types of insurance are necessary?
- What do the insurance policies cover?
- Should I take out any separate or additional coverage?
- How much does it cost per year?
- What will increase my insurance premiums?
By finding out the specifics of the insurance requirements, you will be able to budget for them accordingly and not be surprised by any additional insurance needs.
How Much Are Property Taxes?
In addition to insurance coverage, there will be tax questions that you definitely need to know the answers to in order to know exactly how much the property will cost you. Owning Florida waterfront property is a unique situation, so the property taxes will be different for you than for most other homeowners. These are some of the Florida waterfront property questions that you need to ask regarding your taxes:
- What are the property taxes in the area?
- How much will they cost per year?
- How does the property’s boundary line play a part in my tax calculations?
- What properties are exempt from Florida property taxes?
- Are there state taxes on Florida waterfront property?
- Can I save money on taxes when I buy a home in Florida?
These questions need expert answers to ensure that you know exactly what your tax liability will be and how much you can expect to pay on a yearly basis. The amount can be quite substantial, so it is important to know this number ahead of time.
How Much Maintenance and Upkeep Needs to Be Done?
Florida waterfront properties have all of the maintenance, upkeep, and repair requirements that other homes do in the state, but there are even more that you should be aware of before you buy.
Because your property abuts the water, there will be special kinds of maintenance and upkeep requirements that will need to be done to keep your home in the best possible condition.
Some of the important Florida waterfront property questions to ask include:
- What kinds of maintenance and upkeep will be necessary to ensure the continued beauty of your property?
- How much do these requirements cost?
- Who is responsible for the maintenance?
- Do most people outsource these maintenance needs?
- Are there any special considerations for Florida waterfront properties such as soil erosion or damage from saltwater?
When you ask these questions, you will be able to plan ahead and prepare a maintenance schedule to ensure that you keep your property looking pristine. You can also prepare for the costs associated with the maintenance and upkeep of your property and home.
What Kinds of Recreational Activities Are Available?
When you own a Florida waterfront property, you probably expect that you will be able to participate in certain recreational activities. However, certain areas have limitations to these activities based on the HOA, state regulations, or water levels. It is vital that you know about any of these restrictions before you invest your money and time into a property that may not support your water-based hobbies and interests. Be sure to ask these waterfront property questions:
- What recreational activities are available in the area, including boating, fishing, water sports, and more?
- Are there any limitations or restrictions to be aware of concerning these activities?
- Does the community offer any recreational activities or hobbies to members?
The answers to these questions can help you avoid disappointment once you have already moved into the house.
Will This Allow Me to Maintain a Certain Lifestyle?
If you have already become accustomed to a certain lifestyle based on life on waterfront properties, you obviously want to maintain that lifestyle. It is important, then, for you to find out early if the property you will be buying can help you with that goal.
Our Realtors Can Help You Find the Perfect Florida Waterfront Property for You and Your Family
When it comes to buying a waterfront property in Florida, it is important to get all of the information you need about the house and the property itself. That is especially important for the shoreline and water portions of the property because there are always lots of special circumstances and regulations to be aware of.
Our team of realtors at Your Home Sold Guaranteed Realty - Florida Waterfront highly recommends that you fully investigate the property you have interest in and make sure that it meets your needs and requirements. We also encourage you to ask the questions above and any others that may be related to your specific situation. You may want to even consider consulting with an experienced attorney who has expertise working with real estate law as it pertains to waterfront properties.
We want you to be 100% confident that you are making the right choices for yourself and your family, and we will do everything we can to ensure that happens. Our realtors will provide you with all of the information, resources, and tools you need throughout the process.
To learn more about the Florida waterfront property questions you should be asking, give us a call at 407-307-2617 or fill out the form below with the requested information to get a detailed response from one of our skilled and experienced realtors. We look forward to hearing from you and helping you find the perfect home in Florida!